Click [here] for printable version.
CRIME ALERT: University of Michigan Police
|2011-3 / AAPD (#11-1455)|
Date of Incident:
|March 12, 2011 about 12:45am|
|South Forest parking structure (616 S Forest Ave)|
| (updated on Mar 16 2011 15:00)|
UPDATE (3-16-11) -- A reward up to $500 is being offered for information that leads to an arrest in this case. Anyone with information is asked to contact the U-M Department of Public Safety at (734) 763-1131 or the University's Anonymous Tip Line at (800) 863-1355.
(updated on Mar 15 2011 15:00)
UDPATE (3-15-11) -- The Ann Arbor Police are looking for additional information as to the identity of the suspects involved in the sexual assault of a student that occurred around 1 am Saturday (March 12).
The assault occurred in the walkway that runs between the Forest St. Parking Structure and the Galleria Mall, which houses Starbucks and Pinball Pete's.
Several males were in the group that assaulted the student. All are described as white males, 20-24 years old. One male has brown wavy hair. Not everyone in the group participated in the assault.
Police currently are reviewing surveillance video obtained from area businesses. Evidence obtained during the investigation will be forwarded to the Michigan State Police Crime Lab for analysis.
The Ann Arbor Police Department is requesting that witnesses to this assault, or anyone with pertinent information, come forward. You can remain anonymous. Information can be left on the AAPD Tip Line (734)794-6939, or sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Det. Dave Monroe may be contacted at 734-794-6930, ext 49308.
(updated on Mar 12 2011 09:30)
As told to the Ann Arbor Police, a student said she was walking alone on the north side of the structure when she was pushed to the ground by four unknown males. One male assaulted her. They fled in an unknown direction.
|Four white males, 18-24 years old, possibly wearing sweatpants and U-M sweatshirts. One possibly had brown curly hair.|
If you have any information:
Please contact U-M POLICE (UMPD) at (734) 763-1131 or dial 9-1-1
or the ANN ARBOR POLICE DEPARTMENT Tip Line (734) 794-6939 or email@example.com
- Sexual assault is any sexual activity that occurs in the absence of consent.
- Most perpetrators assault someone they know. Sexual assault occurs in all communities and people of all genders can be survivors.
- Responsibility lies with the perpetrator, not the survivor - no one deserves, asks for, or provokes sexual assault.
- Sexual assault can include sexual activity with someone whose judgment is impaired by alcohol and drugs, whether ingested voluntarily or unknowingly. Alcohol often is used by perpetrators to facilitate sexual assaults.
- U of M's Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities [http://www.oscr.umich.edu/statement/], Sexual Assault Policy [http://www.umich.edu/~spolicy/assault.html], and Michigan law prohibit sexual assault.
- If you would like more information or resources regarding sexual assault, visit SAPAC's website [http://sapac.umich.edu].
- Although the survivor is never at fault, prioritizing one's personal safety is a good idea. Risk of attack by a stranger may be reduced by:
- Being aware of your surroundings and looking assertive
- Walking with a friend or co-worker in well-lit areas
- Trusting your intuition - if a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, choose an alternative
- Keeping rooms locked at all times
- Utilizing campus transportation resources [http://pts.umich.edu/taking_the_bus/special_services.php]
- If you feel threatened on campus, look for a blue light emergency phone or call 9-1-1 from any phone (no coins needed for 9-1-1 calls).
- Confidential Tip Line 1-800-863-1355
Click [here] for more news...